Move over Huawei, the Samsung Galaxy A8s is coming on December 10

Mere hours after Huawei announced that it will unveil the nova 4 with a selfie camera inside the display on December 17, Samsung announced it will show off the Galaxy A8s a full week earlier – on December 10.

The move is by no means coincidental – a fight to bring out the first phone with a screen hole has been on since late November. At this point it looks like Samsung will indeed beat Huawei to the punch, but things could change.

The Samsung Galaxy A8s is coming on December 10
The Samsung Galaxy A8s is coming on December 10

The screens on both the nova 4 and the Galaxy A8s are LCDs made by BOE, but it’s said that Samsung’s phone is the the more premium of the two.

Specs-wise the Samsung Galaxy A8s is expected to have a 6.3-inch 2340×1080 19.5:9 LCD, a Snapdragon 710 chipset with up to 6GB of RAM, a 24MP selfie camera embedded into the display and a triple camera on the back – likely a regular and an ultra-wide accompanied by a depth sensing third snapper.

[“source=vogue”]

Facebook Sued by Shareholder Over Record Stock Plunge

Facebook Sued by Shareholder Over Record Stock Plunge

Days after Facebook’s stock suffered the largest drop in Wall Street history, a shareholder sued the company, accusing the social media network of making misleading statements about its user numbers and operations.

The plaintiff, James Kacouris, filed the lawsuit Friday seeking class-action status and to recover damages. Kacouris alleged that Facebook and its chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg, violated federal securities laws by misleading shareholders about the company’s number of active users and the slowing growth of its revenue.

Kacouris also named Facebook chief financial officer David Wehner in the lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Facebook said in its earnings report last week that it anticipated slower revenue growth and slimmer margins in the future, in part to improve the safety and privacy of the platform. That forecast ignited a massive Wall Street sell-off that dragged the company’s market value down by more than $100 billion (roughly Rs. 6.8 lakh crores). That was the largest single-day drop in Wall Street history.

“Facebook’s announcements shocked the marketplace,” Kacouris said in the complaint. He alleges that Facebook’s “wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in the market value of the Company’s common shares,” have resulted in significant losses and damages for him and other shareholders.

Facebook declined to comment.

Zuckerberg reiterated in the earnings call last week that the company’s major investments in security will lower its profitability. “We’re starting to see that this quarter,” he said, adding, “We run this company for the long term, not for the next quarter.”

The Securities and Exchange Commission declined to comment on the shareholder lawsuit.

Facebook reported for the first time that 2.5 billion people around the world use at least one of its applications, including Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and the core Facebook service. But the costs of improving the flagship platform have risen dramatically. The company said its total expenses have increased 50 percent from the same time last year, from about $4.9 billion to $7.4 billion. Investors were also told that its sales growth is expected to slow. Facebook anticipates that the rate of its rising costs will exceed its revenue growth by next year.

Facebook faces another investor lawsuit filed this year. Investors sued Facebook accusing the company of misleading shareholders over a data privacy scandal involving political consultancy Cambridge Analytica, which improperly accessed the information from 87 million people.

Multiple federal agencies, including the SEC are investigating the matter. The probe focuses on Facebook’s knowledge of the misuse of data three years ago, and why the company did not disclose it to users or investors at the time. The scrutiny by the SEC, Justice Department, Federal Trade Commission and the FBI also centre on any discrepancies in Facebook’s recent explanations.

Twitter, another prominent social media company grappling with safety issues, also saw its stock plummet last week. The company said it lost 1 million monthly active users in an earnings call Friday, a signal that efforts to rid its platform of fake and suspicious accounts will come at a cost.

[“Source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Google Says It’s Removing Over ‘100 Bad Ads Every Second’

Google Says It's Removing Over '100 Bad Ads Every Second']

Google is removing over 100 scam advertisements every second for violating its policies and will soon implement a verification programme to further weed out bad actors from its platform.

After The Wall Street Journal reported that scammers were purchasing search ads and “masquerading as authorised service agents for companies such as Apple”, Google said on Saturday it is taking action against such scam artists.

“Just last year alone, we took down more than 3.2 billion ads that violated our advertising policies – that’s more than 100 bad ads per second,” said David Graff, Director, Global Product Policy at Google.

“We’re taking another step. We’ve seen a rise in misleading ad experiences stemming from third-party technical support providers and have decided to begin restricting ads in this category globally,” said Graff.

In the coming months, Google will roll out a verification programme to ensure that only legitimate providers of third-party tech support can use its platform to reach consumers.

“One of our top priorities is to maintain a healthy advertising ecosystem, and that means protecting people from misleading, inappropriate and harmful ads,” Google said.

The move came after scammers were found using Google’s advertising system to create misleading ads.

“The ads would display a link to Apple’s website, but the number in the ad would direct to a call centre that engages in tech-support scams.”

[“Source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Commonwealth Games Medallist Mouma Das Has Anxious Moments Over Baggage At Airport

Commonwealth Games Medallist Mouma Das Has Anxious Moments Over Baggage At Airport

India’s table tennis ace Mouma Das, who returned home on Tuesday after a spectacular double medal conquest at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, spent some anxious hours when the Delhi Customs held her check-in baggage after detecting a power bank, which the player said she did not carry. Then, Mouma, on her arrival at the NSCBI Airport here, found her baggage had not arrived and took to Twitter to complain to the air carrier Jet Airways. The air carrier replied that she had put her power bank in the check-in baggage, which was “strictly prohibited”.

“Mouma, your baggage has been held by customs due to carriage of power bank in the check-in baggage which is strictly prohibited,” said the carrier, asking her to share documents so that the process of releasing the luggage could be expedited.

Mouma, however, replied that she had not carried any such gadget.

The paddler, who was part of the gold medal winning India women’s team and also partnered Manika Batra to the doubles silver at Gold Coast, then tagged Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore in one of her tweets. A little later she also sought help from External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and the Prime Minister’s Office, by tagging them in a tweet.

Acting promptly, Rathore directed the Sports Authority of India in another tweet to take up the issue with the Finance Minister immediately.

But the issue was resolved late on Tuesday night after Mouma spoke to her teammates and learnt that a souvenir bag presented by the games organisers did carry a power bank. She admitted her mistake to the Delhi Customs authorities.

“The issue has now been resolved. It was my fault. I never carry a power bank with me.

“When I tweeted earlier I did not know that a souvenir bag given to us carried a power bank. I have confirmed it from Manika and others. I have written to the authorities about the presence of the power bank. The baggage will now be sent to me on Wednesday morning. I am told they are taking very good care of it,” Mouma told IANS.

[“source=ndtv”]